There's a thin line between blogs that make sense.

Monday, August 21, 2006

X-Men: Dat dere don't look so good

Filed under: Rant
Back, a long time ago, balls freshly dropped I would wake up every morning at 7:00, something I do rarely (See: Never) nowadays to stare at a flashing picture box and watch my favorite cartoon in the world: X-Men. It was by far the most popular one on TV, so popular that Disney pretty much ground it into the dust by the fifth season cutting animation and writing budgets.

Years passed, and X-Men was taken off the air, receiving a very limited syndication on the Disney Channel or some shit like that. Recently I obtained a copy of the complete series which is still unavailable on DVD. I Tell you this: It did not hold up. So there it is, yet another facet of my childhood that I now consider to of been nothing but a ritalin induced hallucination. I can now pretty much put this alongside with action figures, roleplaying, and Valiant comics with things that just aren't cool anymore.

It's sad though, seeing now what I thought was the greatest cartoon on the goddamn planet for the first time ine years, and realizing how my tiny brain at the time interpereted what is now a steaming pile of koala shit. What were once great storylines are now convoluted hacks of the comics. The voice acting sends chills up my spine, and worse than anything, the animation looks like a retard using flash animation. And this is all the earlier, better animated episodes as well. I fear to even think of what the later stuff looks like.

That being said, if you haven't allready you should check out the two Ultimate Avengers movies, both of which I found to be surprisingly entertaining and well done. They are toned down PG-13 versions of the comics (No wife beating or decapitations) but are a much truer adaption than I would of hoped for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded the original spiderman TV animated series. I thought Spidey was cool then, but like your xmen experience, he is now a cheesy dweeb.

I think it's just coz we are now so much cooler. Christ knows I was a quite a few turns off cool street when I was younger. But now, I believe I'm the shit.

Simon San
(currently in Colorado and not leaving anytime soon)

Unknown said...

I concur, both are sadly garbage at this point.

Scott Bauble said...

Kinda like realizing that Robotech was, from a very early age, conditioning us to watch and enjoy soap operas. I think that makes it the most insidious use of giant robots since . . . well . . . Astroboy. Which was pretty fucking insidious.